You're a first-year lawyer sent to argue your first big case on behalf of an important client.
You know your case. You've rehearsed your argument. Your suit even fits just right. You argue your point and even opposing counsel is impressed.
Suddenly, the judge asks you a clarification question: "What case did you rely on for this position?" OR "Aren't there already cases directly on point that are in opposition to your argument, Mr./Ms. Hotshot?"
You stand stunned, caught off guard. The sweat drips down your face and your perfect suit crinkles just a little bit. But then you remember. See, in years past, this could have been a disaster; a career killer. But not you. You're ready. You've got the new Fact Finder app.
You subtly pull your iPhone from your pocket. Tap the app button. Quickly type in the area of law you need a cite from. Touch on the appropriate jurisdictional court. Fact Finder does the rest.
"No, judge," you confidently reply. "There is no case directly on point in this area."
The judge slams his gavel. A big win for you.
Fact finder. It's like having a lawyer in your pocket.


This is one I am just not sure I ever got quite right. The idea was to give someone an easy way to look up a case or statute on the fly, in the heat of battle. I don't understand the concept of an app enough to know if this would really work or not. I guess there would need to be a way of updating the information constantly, since new case law is handed down on a weekly basis. I would think there needs to be an initial fee as well as an update fee, like a subscription. I am not really sure the appeal of something like this would be large enough to garner much success since the potential users are limited in number.
ReplyDelete